Monday 7 October 2013

My First Experience with Craft Beers



The other day my classmate Sid asked anyone if they would like to try craft beers with him for a school project. As I am one of those guys that goes out every week and buys the same old lager like Canadian or Labatts Blue, I thought I would accept his offer just to see what they would be like. I quickly discovered I was naively seeing beer as just another excuse to drink, instead of appreciating the craftsmanship that actually goes into making them. The night of this beer tasting we were trying some Pale ales. I learned that these ales were made of hops, an herbal ingredient that gives each beer a different aromas and bitterness.  In these particular beers we were smelling citrus, herbal, pine, spruce, spices, and many more. I never really looked for these when drinking big named lagers, but I found them intriguing when trying the craft beers. When it comes to tasting, there is a very distinct flavour difference between craft and regular lagers. We did taste some of the aromas like pine and citrus in the beers which did give it a nice flavour. Though I enjoyed most of the craft beers we tasted, there were a select few that were not for me. I have truly seen beer in a different light and am looking into purchasing more craft beers in the future to experience different tastes and aromas in beer. I am looking forward to the next beer tasting and what surprises beer will bring me next.




photo:http://torontobeerweek.com/2012-bars/

No comments:

Post a Comment