Thursday 10 October 2013

What Great Golfers Think part 2

This second blog is going to continue about my first blog on the book How Great Golfers Think by Bob Skura. I have gotten a little farther from last time but there has been so much information and stuff I'd like to share I thought another blog was necessary. If you haven't read my first blog I suggest doing so as it gives a quick overview of the beginning of the book and what I have already discussed. I much prefer you read the actual book because it is a great book that a lot can be taken from.

The four men are back at Doc's house for another lesson on their mental game of golf. As soon as they sit down Doc starts asking them questions and gets right to the point. All the guys were telling Doc to slow down as they just got seated. Doc the says "You'll reap bigger rewards if you know what you want right out of the gate"(pg 34).  I thought this was a good quote that well related to my last blog about having a solid starting point. Doc is setting a solid starting point with the men and letting them know that he starts as soon as he sits down. I find that this would be a great thing to do at the beginning of any golf round. Going to the first tee and knowing exactly what you want to get out of the full round. Any golfer wants to do the best they can every round so why not go to the first tee every round thinking about playing your best.

Something I experience and I see other golfers do is get frustrated after hitting a bad shot. From personal experience I find that if I get mad at one thing, everything after that starts going wrong because I'm upset about that one thing. Doc mentioned " If your first goal is to par the opening hole and something goes wrong, your ability to reset your goal is absolutely key"(38).  Professional golfers have walked off the course from consecutive bad shots. Yes, we all have a couple days where we just can't hit the golf ball where we want. When we do though and we do eventually hit a bad shot, we have to put it behind us and think about the next shot right away. Even in every day tasks, if something goes wrong, we have to come up with a conclusion right away to fix the situation.

The group then starts to talk about setting goals and how to get proper goals. One of the men had a best round of 64, then started to perfect his golf swing. Doc asked why he didn't set another goal to shoot lower instead. He then came to realise he didn't, that he hit his goal and that was it. He didn't think he could get any lower so he tried to keep shooting that score. I personally set a goal to get a lower score than 80 this summer. I got to my goal and shot an 78, which I am very proud of. After shooting that score I did not set another goal after that, just like this man in the book. I kept practicing hoping to get better but never set another goal. I think if I set another goal I would've been able to achieve it and shoot even lower. Setting a goal would have let me strive to shoot better and been able to practice with more passion.

Thanks for reading. I will post my next blog after a few more pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment